This bread recipe will blow you away. Flour, salt, yeast and water, all mixed in a bowl and set to rest for 8-24 hours. That's it. It's that simple. No machine, no kneading. And the result is a crusty, fluffy, artisan bread. Lathered in butter, dipped in soup, or topped with bruschetta, this bread is tasty and beyond easy to make. I make it the night prior and pop it in the oven right before dinner. So get your ass in the kitchen and prepare to make the loaf of a lifetime.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon cornmeal
Special cookware needed: Large dutch oven or any oven safe pot with lid.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and yeast. Stir in water using a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a shaggy but cohesive dough. Do not over-work the dough. The less you "work" it, the more soft, fluffy air pockets will form.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough sit at room temperature for 8-24 hours. Dough will bubble up and rise.
- After dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place your Dutch oven, (or pot), uncovered, into the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While your Dutch oven preheats, turn dough onto a floured surface. With floured hands, form the dough into a ball. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and let rest.
- After the 30 minutes are up, carefully remove Dutch oven. Sprinkle cornmeal in bottom of pot. With floured hands, drop the bread dough into it. (You can put a piece of parchment under the dough if your Dutch oven isn’t enamel coated.)
- Replace lid and bake for 30 minutes covered. Carefully remove lid and bake for 7-15 minutes more, until golden brown.
- Carefully remove bread to a cutting board and slice with a bread knife.
Adapted from The Comfort of Cooking.