This was another recipe featured on the first episode of the Halloween Baking Championship. My creepy crawly cupcakes consisted of a moist chocolate cake coated with a rich, smooth ganache. I finished it off with a candy melt spiderweb with rock candy spiders. To make the spiderwebs, simply melt candy melts and pour into piping bag, snip a tad off the tip, and pipe spiderwebs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill for 10 minutes, then with a flat spatula, carefully remove webs and place on cupcakes. This treat will please all your little (and big!) ghouls and goblins!
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups good cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy whipping cream
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle, (or large bowl, if using hand mixer), sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together and stir on low speed until combined.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Fill liners about 2/3 full and put in the oven. Bake for 17 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks before glazing.
- To make ganache glaze: Place chocolate chips in large bowl. Add heavy cream into small saucepan and heat on medium high, till edges just start to boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate chips. Add pinch of salt. Allow to stand for 3-5 minutes, then whisk briskly to combine and until smooth.
- Let cool until thick enough to evenly coat the back of a spoon. Dip tops of cupcakes into ganache and spin tops to coat entire surface. Shake off excess and place on tray. If using a topping, (chopped nuts, toasted coconut, fresh berries, candy melt decor, chocolate shavings, etc.) sprinkle on now.
- Once all cupcakes are coated, place in refrigerator until ganache has set.