I had a surplus of Krispy Kreme donuts after my daughter and I took advantage of their "Dress Like a Pirate Day," and got two dozen free for doing so. Twenty-four donuts......that's a lot of donuts! I put some in the waffle maker and made breakfast sandwiches. Ate some. Gave away some. And then turned the stale few survivors into donut bread pudding. This is a simple dessert that will have your oven oozing the sweet smells of cinnamon and vanilla. It's a warm, soul satisfying, comfort food that can't be beat. And it's topped with a butter rum sauce. Need I say more?
4 tablespoons butter, melted
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 baking pan. (You can also use individual ramekins).
- Cut donuts into small pieces. Place them into pan and drizzle on the melted butter.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, cream, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread and lightly push down until bread is covered and soaking up the mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the topped has set and edges pull from side of pan.
- Serve warm and top with butter rum sauce.
BUTTER RUM SAUCE
1/2 stick butter
2 cups powdered sugar
Rum, to taste
Over medium heat, melt butter and stir in powdered sugar until smooth.
Add rum and heat until bubbly.
Drizzle over servings of pudding while warm.