Next to fried chicken and vodka, tacos are the other love of my life. I seriously make them about once a week. They're easy, fun to change up and tasty as hell. So I thought, "why limit this handheld deliciousness for just dinner time?" And the next morning, my breakfast tacos were born. Loaded cheesy scrambled eggs, in a crisp corn tortilla, topped with MORE cheese, and chunky avocado-tomato salsa. Yummy!! And that brings us to our Mexican word of the day, "jalapeno." I'ma get jalapeno business if you don't make these tacos!!
6-8 large eggs
1/2 cup bell peppers, diced
1/2 cup onions, diced
1/2 packet bacon (or sausage), cooked and crumbled
2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 cup avocado, diced
1/2 cup tomato, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped and divided
1/2 tablespoon lime juice, fresh squeezed
8 corn tortilla shells
vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together the avocado, tomato and half of the cilantro. Add the lime juice and season with salt, pepper and cumin. Cover and place in fridge.
- Using butter or olive oil, saute bell peppers and onions in large pan over medium heat. Once softened, pour them into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, use butter or cooking spray to coat, and add the eggs. Scramble until cooked thru and season to taste with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano. Add in the sauteed peppers and onions, bacon, half of the cheese and remaining cilantro. Place pan in oven to stay warm.
- Fill a small frying pan with 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat over medium high. Once oil is hot, fry corn tortillas by carefully sliding one into the pan, once the tortilla bubbles on top, flip it over and fold in half with tongs. Let cook on one folded side for about 30 secs and then flip to the other side for another 30 seconds. Place cooked shells on plate covered with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- To assemble tacos, carefully remove eggs from the oven and spoon the mixture into each shell. Top each taco with remaining shredded cheese and the avocado-tomato salsa from the fridge. Serve with hot sauce and breakfast potatoes.